Gambling Act occasional use notice

What is an occasional use notice (OUN)?

Betting operators can use an OUN to provide betting facilities at a specific venue. With this notice, a full betting premises licence is not needed. 


The betting facilities must be provided: 

  • at genuine sporting events 
  • at venues such as point-to-point racecourses and golf courses for major competitions 
  • within the boundaries of the identified venue 
  • on a specific date 

The event must be temporary or infrequent.  

Notices may not be used for more than 8 days in a calendar year for a specific venue. 

The person administering the gambling under the notice must have a Gambling Commission operating licence (that is, be a licensed bookmaker). 


If you wish to apply for an OUN, please contact us. 


Tel: 020 8489 8232  


Back to top


Page last updated:

November 23, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)