Registering a Birth
Home Birth/child born in Haringey (not in a hospital)
We can register Haringey births and will assist with the registration of Haringey babies born elsewhere (Birth Declarations).
Please contact us to make an appointment if you have had a Home Birth or a birth in Haringey (not in a hospital).
We collect a fee of £11 for one birth certificate when you book - you can pay in multiples of £11 if you require more certificates or you can order certificates online afterwards. You can order as many certificates as you like.
Please note that you cannot book a birth appointment online at the moment. Please call 020 8489 2605 to make a birth appointment.
You (and anyone coming to an appointment) are expected to get a COVID-19 test the day before or on the day of the appointment. Test results are received in less than an hour.
- This includes the North Middlesex and Whittington Hospitals
Babies are registered where they are born and not where the parents live. This means if your baby was born outside Haringey or in a hospital, then you need to register the birth with the relevant local authority.
See below for information for the North Middlesex and Whittington Hospitals.
- Babies are registered where they are born and not where the parents live
- There are no hospitals in Haringey
- If your baby was born at the North Middlesex Hospital, please contact Enfield Council (external link)
- If your baby was born at the Whittington Hospital, please contact Islington Council (external link)
- If you cannot travel to the borough of birth to register, we can do a declaration for you but we cannot register. We will take £11 off you to book a birth declaration and we will refund this money when you attend the appointment on time. You will need to contact the birth borough to order certificates. Before making a Birth Declaration appointment, you must get the permission of the register office covering the birth first. Please record the name of who you speak to for future reference
- If your baby was born at home or within Haringey on the way to the hospital, then we can register the birth for you. Call 020 8489 2605 to make an appointment for a Haringey birth or to make a Birth Declaration. We will charge a fee of £11 to make a birth declaration appointment, we will refund this when you attend the appointment on time
Information needed to register your baby
When we register your baby's birth, we will ask you some questions to ensure that the birth is registered correctly. Some questions will also be asked for statistical purposes. Some information may be collected over the telephone in advance of a face to face appointment. A birth cannot be registered over the telephone and a face to face meeting is still required.
To help prepare for a birth appointment, please use either the Word or the PDF version of the form below and have the details ready before any face to face or telephone interview:
- Word version - Information for birth appointments (Word, 22KB)
- PDF version - Information for birth appointments (PDF, 124KB)
Claiming Child Benefit
You can make a claim for Child Benefit or Universal Credit before your baby is registered.
Order a birth certificate
We only hold records for births in Haringey and this does not include births at the North Middlesex Hospital (Enfield) and Whittington Hospital (Islington).
Details of the main hospitals and register offices covering Haringey can be found in the table below:
|North Middlesex or Chase Farm||Enfield (external link)||020 8379 8501|
|Whittington||Islington (external link)||020 7527 6350|
|University College or Royal Free||Camden (external link)||020 7974 1900|
|Whipps Cross||Waltham Forest (external link)||020 8496 2716|
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required