Documents you will need for your notice of marriage or civil partnership appointment

You must be able to prove your name, age, nationality and current address. For this you will need to bring:

If you have an immigration status that can be viewed online, such as EU settled status or EU pre-settled status, you must provide the 'share code' at your appointment. Get your share code from GOV.UK (external link). If you have a pending application for EU Settled Status filed before 1 July 2021, you must provide the certificate of application.

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must bring proof that the marriage or partnership has ended. See previous marriages and civil partnerships below for more information.

If you or your partner are subject to immigration you must both bring a recent passport-sized photo. Please bring evidence of your current immigration status if you can. Read more on our dedicated Subject to immigration page.

If you have changed your name and wish to have it recorded please bring evidence of the change, for example a change of name deed or deed poll document.

Back to top

Other ways you can prove your identity

Please note: ID cards, including from the EU/EEA can no longer be used to give notice.

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983:

  • You can use a valid UK birth certificate or valid UK driving licence. If using a UK driving license as an ID you cannot use it as proof of address

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 and do not have a valid passport:

  • You will need to bring your full original UK birth certificate along with evidence of your parent(s) nationality at birth. This could be their passport or their birth certificates. You can get copies of birth certificates from the Register Office where the person was born

A UK certificate of naturalisation:

  • We can only accept a certificate of naturalisation if it has been issued by the United Kingdom

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, or not born in the UK and do not hold a valid passport, UK Certificate of Naturalisation or Home Office travel document:

  • You will need to obtain a passport or UK Travel Document before making an appointment

Back to top

Previous marriages and civil partnerships

To prove your previous marriage or civil partnership is ended, you will need to provide one of the following.

  • The original UK Decree Absolute
    This is the final divorce document and must be the original. You can get your Decree Absolute from GOV.UK (external link).
  • Overseas divorce papers
    This must be the original and final divorce. If the divorce is not in English you will need to provide a full 3rd party translation. You or your partner cannot do the translation, but a friend or relative can. There is no need to pay for a professional translation.
  • A death certificate
    This must be the original death certificate and link you to your former husband or wife. You may need to provide the original marriage certificate so we can establish a link.
  • Documents confirming annulment
    If a marriage has been annulled you will need to show an original document proving this. if the document is not in English you will need to provide a 3rd party translation.

Back to top

Book your appointment

Ongoing instability with the national registration system, Registration Online (RON), means that there may be delays at appointments.

Book a Notice appointment

Please note:

  • do not book an appointment before 9am, after 4pm or on a Saturday (if available) if:
    • you are subject to immigration
    • you need an interpreter (the Register Office does not provide interpreters and, as you will be interviewed separately, you will be unable to interpret for your partner)
    • you have an overseas divorce

Please email if you have general enquiry.

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 19, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)

Opening hours

We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm.