Certificates and Corrections

Certificates for Haringey births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships

Places of worship no longer issue marriage certificates. Please order any certificates that you need from the register office in the area of marriage or from the General Register Office (GRO) - GOV.UK (external link).

We can only issue a certificate if the event happened in Haringey and the place of worship has returned their marriage register to us.

Ordering certificates

We are not currently accepting walk-in customers - please order certificates online via the button below.

We only hold records for events that have taken place in the Haringey area (not for the North Middlesex and Whittington Hospitals). Birth, death and marriage records are held by the area where the event occurred.

Payment is by credit or debit card and not cash or cheques

We can supply copies of birth, death and marriage certificates that have taken place in the Haringey area since 1837. Copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates are £11 for standard service (ordered online) 

Certificates for the whole of England and Wales including Haringey can be ordered from the GRO by calling 0300 123 1837 or online on the GRO website (external link). We no longer offer a one hour service but we will always do our best to meet your needs. Please order certificates online, we will despatch orders as soon as is practically possible.

Order copy of certificate

Back to top

Certificates for events outside the Haringey area

Please contact the Register Office that covers the area where the event occurred, alternatively the GRO hold records for the whole of England and Wales. GRO can be contacted by calling 0300 123 1837. Orders can also be placed online with GRO (external link).

Back to top


You can order and pay online or at the Counter using a Credit or Debit Card, cash and cheques are not accepted.

Order copy of certificate

We do not hold records for events that have taken place in other districts including birth and death records for events at the North Middlesex Hospital (Enfield) and the Whittington Hospital (Islington).

Telephone orders and certificates directly from the GRO

The GRO holds records on births, deaths and marriages across the whole of England and Wales including Haringey. Certificates can be requested from GRO online (external link) or by calling 0300 123 1837.

Back to top

Obtaining copies of divorces (Decrees Absolute)

Register Offices do not hold records of UK divorces. Please visit GOV.UK (external link) for further information on how to obtain a copy of a UK divorce.

Back to top

Family history

The GRO is producing a public database (FreeBMD) of birth, death and marriage entries. The database is being updated by volunteers all of the time and not all records are currently on the database. If you do not know where an event occurred please use the FreeBMD website (external link) to assist with your search. Please then contact the relevant Register Office or GRO to obtain the certificate. Register Offices can be located by entering the postcode for the place of death (external link).

For more extensive family history research, it is helpful if you arrange to come in to do a general search of the indexes. The fee for a general search is £18, please request this using the enquiry forms at the bottom of this page. We can then arrange a time and date to gain access to our Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership indexes.

Back to top


If you discover that the details on a birth, death or marriage certificate are incorrect you can apply to the GRO for a correction (fees apply).

To apply you must submit supporting documents showing the error along with the correct application form. Applications can be made via the Register Office or direct to GRO - see the forms for corrections at GOV.UK (external link).

Payments for corrections can be made using our secure payment e-form.

Please note that GRO do not have a form for Civil Partnership corrections. Applications for corrections to Civil Partnerships should be made in writing direct to GRO with supporting evidence of the error.

Back to top

Contact us and payments

If you have a general enquiry about our services please use one of the links below to complete an online enquiry form or send an email to registrars@haringey.gov.uk

Payment e-form - note: payment for certificates is normally taken as part of the online ordering process.

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 19, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)

Opening hours

We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm.