Visual Impairment Support
- Eye Tests
- Blindness and Visual Impairment Support
- Haringey Phoenix Group
- Attention: Driving Licence Holders
It is important everyone has regular eye tests, especially if you have concerns about your eyes. You can find a local optician on the NHS website (external link).
If you are unable to travel to an optician, it is possible to request an eye test at home. Housing Care has provided a list of opticians that offer Home Eye tests (external link)
Experiencing a sight loss can result in every day tasks such as cooking, reading, going out and working, becoming quite difficult. The Visual Impairment Service assesses the needs of people with a long term or permanent visual impairment, or who have a dual sensory loss (both a sight loss and a hearing loss). Following the assessment of needs the following services may be provided:
- Loan or advice about equipment
- mobility training
- independent living skills training
- advice on a range of specialist services for visually impaired people
The team manages registration of visual impairment. You must be certified by an ophthalmologist, usually at a hospital. They will send a form to us so we can register you.
To request further help or advice, please contact:
First Response Team
2nd Floor River Park House
225 High Road
Tel: 020 8489 1400
Opening hours: 9am-5pm Monday to Friday
- Click here to download information on other services for people with Visual Impairment (Word 75KB)
(for blind and partially sighted people)
A registered charity core-funded by Haringey Council providing activities, services, support and information for blind and partially sighted people in Haringey and the surrounding areas.
Winkfield Resource Centre
33 Winkfield Road
Tel 020 8889 7070
Fax 020 8489 8230
Minicom 020 8365 7935
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
In accordance with the advice shown on the driving licence, any driver with impaired vision should inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), who will consider each case on an individual basis.
Contact the DVLA on Tel No: 0870 600 0301.
If you have difficulties in relation to these matters, you can contact:
- Haringey Citizens Advice Bureaux (external link) - Tel: 0870 126 4664
- Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) helpline (external link) - Tel: 0303 123 9999
- Haringey Phoenix Group working with and for blind and partially sighted adults (external link) - Tel: 020 8889 7070
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.