Be Smoke Free
One You Haringey
For local adult health advice and support to quit smoking and be smoke free call 020 8885 9095 or visit the One You Haringey website (external link).
- To find out more about being smoke free visit the national One You website
Smoking in Haringey – key facts
- Smoking remains the main cause of preventable illness and premature death in the UK and in Haringey.
- 50% of life expectancy gap is due to smoking.
- Giving up smoking can save a 20 day smoker £2679 a year (NHS choices Smoking Calculator).
Prevalence of smokers in Haringey:
- Around 1 in 5 Haringey residents are smokers
- The smoking prevalence in Haringey is 20.6% - equating to the eighth highest rate in London and higher than the national average of 19.5%
- For more information about smoking in Haringey please see Haringey's JSNA
A number of local Healthy Living Pharmacies (HLP) and GPs also provide stop smoking support. A complete list will be available shortly.
Smoke Free homes and cars
When you smoke inside your house or car, everyone in there is exposed to harmful secondhand tobacco smoke. Most secondhand smoke is invisible and odourless, so even if you cannot see or smell any smoke, it’s probably still there.
People that breathe in secondhand smoke are at risk from the same diseases as smokers, including cancer and heart disease.
Babies and children are more at risk because their lungs are not fully grown and they breathe faster, so they take in more of the poisons than adults. Health risks include asthma and chest infections, middle ear infection, meningitis, behaviour and learning difficulties and cot death among babies.
Babies in the womb can also be harmed if they are exposed to secondhand smoke.
Hidden dangers of smoking in your home or car
- Cigarette smoke contains over 4,500 chemicals, 50 are known to cause cancer
- Most cigarette smoke is invisible
- Smoking near an open door or window does not protect you or others from secondhand smoke
- The only way to completely protect others from the harms of cigarette smoke is to make your home and car smokefree
- Because of the effects of second hand smoke around 9,500 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital every year in the UK
- Children learn habits from the people closest to them. If they live with someone who smokes they are 3 times more likely to smoke when they grow up
Benefits of having a smokefree home and car
- You are protecting your children and family from secondhand smoke, improving their health
- Your children will be healthier and less likely to miss school through illness
- Your children are less likely to start smoking if they do not see you smoke
- It should help you cut down or quit smoking altogether
- The risk of house fires is greatly reduced
- Your house and car will smell and look fresher and cleaner, and it will not need decorating as often.
Creating a smokefree home and car to help protect your family
- Tell everyone in your house and any visitors that your home and car is now smokefree
- Explain how important it is to protect your family’s health by limiting their exposure to tobacco smoke
- Ask visitors in your home to smoke outside
- Do not keep ashtrays or lighters inside the house or car
- Ask anyone looking after your children not to smoke in their presence
- Do not smoke in other people’s homes or cars even if they allow smoking
The London Fire Brigade offers personal fire safety advice in your home and will also fit a free smoke alarm where needed. If you, or someone you know wants a free home fire safety visit, then fill in the online form via the link below and quote Haringey P1-08.
General Smoke Free Information
Page Last Updated:
Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.