Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
- View evidence online
- Make a challenge online
- Once we receive your challenge
If you have received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or parking ticket you can now view the evidence online.
You will need to enter:
- The Penalty Charge Notice number from your ticket (the 8 digit reference beginning with 'HY' at the top of the notice)
- The vehicle registration number (VRM)
You can view the PCN evidence two days after the PCN is issued. Please view the evidence before challenging the PCN.
Note: Depending on the number of photographs taken you may find them slow to download - please be patient.
Do not pay the PCN if you plan to challenge the PCN (unless your vehicle has been removed - in which case you will need to pay the car pound for the release of your vehicle and then challenge the PCN).
If you provide your email address we will let you know when the CCTV footage is ready for you to view online. Otherwise, you can log back in after 24 hours have passed and it should be ready.
Note: The footage will be available for 7 days - if you wish to view after 7 days you will be asked to re-enter your email address.
- Please note: the online form will time out after approximately 20 minutes. Please see the 'Prepare in advance' section below.
Please view the evidence before making a challenge. How you make that challenge depends on what type of PCN you have received.
You can challenge the PCN if you are the driver or registered keeper of the vehicle providing that you do so within 28 days from the date the PCN was issued. If you believe the PCN should not have been issued you can make an informal challenge online.
Prepare in advance - to prevent the online form from timing out and losing the information you have entered, you can prepare the text of any challenge in a document and then cut and paste the text directly into the form.
Please be sure to provide evidence to support your challenge.
Make a note of the reference number beginning with ‘TF’ (you could take a screen shot or print the confirmation details screen) as you will need this if you decide to contact us later.
- If your challenge is received by us before the 14 days allowed for payment of the ticket at the discount rate, and we cannot cancel the ticket, we will allow you a further 14 days from the date we reply to you to pay at the discount rate
- If your challenge is received by us after the 14 days allowed for payment of the ticket at the discount rate, and we cannot cancel the ticket you will be required to pay the full amount
If you do not make payment we will send a Notice to Owner to the person who appears to be the registered keeper of the vehicle after 28 days have passed from the date the PCN was issued. The Notice to Owner allows you to make a formal challenge using the challenge the PCN e-form or to send by post. The grounds for doing this are stated within the online challenge or on the notice.
If you received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) for driving in a bus lane, you may make a formal challenge on the PCN online.
Reasons for challenge include:
- that the recipient was not the owner at the time
- that there was no contravention
- that the vehicle was being used without the owner’s consent
If you do not make payment we will send an Enforcement Notice to the person who appears to be the registered keeper of the vehicle after 28 days have passed from the date the PCN was issued. The Enforcement Notice allows you to make a formal challenge.
Please be sure to provide evidence to support your formal challenge.
If you receive a Penalty Charge Notice for a moving traffic contravention, you can make a formal challenge (representation) on the PCN on any of the following grounds online.
- I was not the owner of the vehicle at the time
- if you sold the vehicle before the date of the contravention or bought it after the date, you must tell us the name and address of the person who bought it from you or sold it to you, if you know it. Also please supply whatever evidence of the sale you may have (eg a sales receipt)
- There was no contravention of an order or failure to comply with an indication on a sign
- please explain why you think there was no contravention of a traffic order or why there was no failure to drive the vehicle in the way shown on the sign
- The vehicle was being used without your consent
- if the vehicle had been stolen, please provide details of the police crime reference or insurance claim
- We are a hire company and the vehicle was on hire/lease on that date
- please supply a copy of the signed agreement including the name and address of the hirer
- The penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case
- if you think you are being asked to pay more than you should legally pay
If the Penalty Charge is not paid before the end of the 28 day period, an increased charge may be payable. We can then send you a Charge Certificate seeking payment of this increased amount.
Please be sure to provide evidence to support your formal challenge.
We will aim to write to you with our decision within 28 days of receiving your informal challenge. All actions on the notice will be suspended until a full reply has been sent. If you have to pay and we received your challenge within the discount period, we will give you a further 14 days to pay at the discounted rate.
If we do not accept your informal challenge, and payment is not received, the registered keeper of the vehicle will be sent a Notice to Owner (28 days from the date the PCN was issued) - if your formal representations are unsuccessful, we will send the registered keeper / liable party of the vehicle a Notice of Rejection. This will state, amongst other things, that the registered keeper / liable party may appeal against the Notice of Rejection to an independent adjudicator at the London Tribunals: Environment and Traffic Adjudicators and it will give information about the time limits for appealing to an adjudicator. Alternatively you can pay your Penalty Charge Notices online.
If you lose your appeal at London Tribunals: Environment and Traffic Adjudicators, you will be given another 28 days to pay the penalty due before any further increase.
The penalty due at this stage will be the full (not the reduced rate) penalty.
If we accept your representations the ticket will be cancelled.
You can do this online by using our challenge the PCN e-form or by writing to:
Haringey Council Parking Service
P.O. Box 4789
Please note challenges over the telephone will not be accepted.
Page Last Updated:
Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.