Statement of Licensing Policy Consultation - 2016
- This consultation is now closed
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to our consultation. You can download and view the consultation results below:
You can view the current policy on the Statement of Licensing Policy page.
What we consulted on
The Licensing Act 2003 requires Haringey Council as the Licensing Authority to determine and publish its Statement of Licensing Policy at least every five years, to keep it under review and make such revisions to it, as it considers appropriate.
The policy has several aims. It sets out how the council approaches its licensing responsibilities and aims to promote the four licensing objectives under the Licensing Act 2003, which are:
- The prevention of crime and disorder
- Public safety
- The Prevention of public nuisance
- The protection of children from harm
This policy will apply when the Licensing Authority is making decisions about applications for:
- the retail sale of alcohol
- the wholesale of alcohol to members of the public
- the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs
- the provision of regulated entertainment
- the provision of hot food or hot drink between 11pm and 5am
The current Statement of Licensing Policy has been in place with the council since January 2011.
The draft policy provides best practice management advice for venue operators (prepared in conjunction with partner agencies such as the police authority, trading standards, environmental health, safeguarding board, public health, fire authority and more).
Proposed changes to the policy
Matters proposed in the draft policy for consultation are summarised below:
- Links to Corporate Plan are inserted setting out visions and values to reflect local policy direction and key aims and objectives of strategic partners within the borough
- The expectations for applicants to demonstrate their social responsibility, particularly in areas affected by street drinking
- Provides updates to the Licensing Act 2003, guidance to applicants and a new section on operating schedules to promote compliance with the Act
- includes additional guidance on the protection of children from harm to improve links to child protection
- Clarity of the need for applicants to understand and have a good command of written and spoken English
- A new section on premises management to promote well run, safe and welcoming establishments and a new section on recommended framework of hours to assist applicants and to help to provide a safe and vibrant night time economy
- An updated section on Cumulative Impact Policies to provide clarity on these policies with respect to the determination of applications, the borough has no such policies in place currently
- Inclusion of public health information throughout policy for information and guidance
- Joined up thinking with Planning hours conditions
The document is divided into 5 sections:
- Section one:
establishes the purpose of the statement of licensing and how we intend to address our licence responsibilities under the Act
- Section two:
provides guidance on the objectives that each application for a license under the four Licensing objectives as set out within the Licensing Act 2003
- Section three:
refers to the need for applicants to produce an operating schedule to demonstrate how they will conduct their business with regard to the four licensing objectives
- Section four:
identifies who makes the decisions and the process that is followed by the Licensing Sub committee
- Section five:
sets out the approach to enforcement taken by the council and partner bodies
The policy is relevant to prospective and current licensed operators, responsible authorities under the Licensing Act, agencies and other persons affected by proposed applications.
If you require any further information concerning the Statement of Licensing Policy then do not hesitate to contact the Licensing Section by telephoning 020 8489 8232 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Haringey Council Licensing Team
6th Floor, Alexandra House,
10 Station Road,
London, N22 7TR
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.