Equal Opportunities Policy
Haringey's Equal Opportunities Policy demonstrates our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity for everyone in Haringey. The policy shows how we will meet our Public Sector Equality Duty to:
- Eliminate discrimination
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between groups in Haringey
The Policy covers:
- Haringey residents
- Visitors to Haringey
- Council staff
- Anyone who uses Council services
The council will work towards the aims of this Policy through the delivery of a set of equality objectives agreed every four years in consultation with local people. A list of all the equality objectives can found in Appendix A in the Equal Opportunities Policy Documents section below. The key objectives are based around addressing any inequality in the:
- Provision of services (across employment, housing, education, health and crime)
- Employment of staff
- Procurement and commissioning processes
Local residents and other stakeholders were consulted on the Policy and equality objectives and the policy was agreed at Cabinet on Tuesday 20 March 2012.
The Equality and Diversity Staff Handbook (PDF, 98KB) is aimed at all levels of Haringey Council’s workforce. It is a means of ensuring that all employees and applicants for employment in Haringey Council are fully aware of the council’s political commitment as well as its legal obligations on equality opportunity. It also informs staff of their rights and responsibilities under the council's Equal Opportunities Policy.
Our equality objectives align with our new Corporate Plan. We will report progress on the equality objectives as part of the performance reporting for the Corporate Plan.
The final Policy, appendices and other supporting documents are available below. Our Equality Objectives are for 2012-16. However, we will continue to have them as our Equality Objectives until we develop our next Corporate Plan in 2018.
- Equal Opportunities Policy 2012-13
- Appendix A: Equality Objectives (PDF, 41KB)
- Appendix B Local Context (PDF, 787KB)
- Appendix C Monitoring Form - available on the Equalities Monitoring page
Other related documents:
- Equal Opportunities Policy & Equality Objectives: Easy Read Version (PDF, 423KB)
- Equal Opportunities Policy Equalities Impact Assessment (PDF, 376KB)
- Equal Opportunities Policy Consultation Feedback and Council Response (PDF, 144KB)
- Summary Consultation Report (PDF, 39KB)
For further information contact:
Policy and Strategy Team
Tel 020 8489 2518
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.