Road closures for street parties

Organising small, private street parties is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment.

The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetesLarger public events
  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Self-organised
  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • Licence usually needed
  • Insurance Needed
  • Risk assessment common
  • Professional / skilled organisers

For a street party road closure:

  • the street should ideally be a cul-de-sac/quiet residential road and must not be closed for more than 24 hours
  • permission should be sought from the council at least eight weeks prior to the street party
  • you should not start organising the street party before approval has been given for the closure as it is subject to road works programmed in the borough
  • the council recommend the event organisers obtain public liability insurance.
|back to top


There is a fee of £80 for the application. The council will undertake the traffic order making process, suspend any street works in the road and provide legal notices for residents to display in the street.

|back to top


You will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21 if you want to:

  • have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or
  • charge money for your event

For more information on licensing issues go to our licensing pages or contact the Licensing Team by emailing or call 020 8489 8232

Organisers will be responsible for:

  • consultation with other residents or businesses in the street and demonstrating majority support
  • provision of road closure equipment at the road closure points
  • returning the road to a clean and tidy condition
  • public liability insurance for the event, if necessary.

Further guidance for organising street parties can be found at the Community and Local Government website (external link). Also visit the Streets Alive (external link) and The Big Lunch (external link) websites for more helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event.

|back to top

How to apply

For a street party road closure fill out the street party road closure application form (Word, 114KB) and return to the council either via email to or by post to:

Traffic Management Group
2nd Floor North
River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ