Riding Establishment Licence

Licences to keep a riding establishment are issued under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970.

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in England, Scotland or Wales, you need a licence from the local authority.

Am I eligible?

Applicants must be over 18 years of age. In England and Wales they must have not been disqualified:

  • from keeping a riding establishment
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals
|Back to top

How much does it cost?

There is an application fee which must be paid at the time an application is made. Currently the fee is £369.

|Back to top

How will my application be evaluated?

Before deciding an application the local authority must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the conditions of the premises and any horses.

|Back to top

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after forty working days.

Where tacit consent is applicable, it only applies for licences / registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

|Back to top

Apply online

You can apply for a riding establishment licence online on the Business Link website (external link).

Online payment Terms and Conditions

The following credit or debit cards are accepted in Haringey:

Different types of cards accepted

Maestro - Mastercard Debit - Mastercard Credit - Visa Credit - Visa Debit (formerly Delta) and Visa Electron

Terms and conditions

  1. We cannot accept liability if payment is refused or declined by the card supplier.
  2. If the card supplier declines payment, the Council is under no obligation to bring this fact to the customer's attention.
  3. Customers should check with their card supplier to ensure that payment has been deducted from their relevant account.
  4. Due to end of day processing, this service will not be available between 10pm and 11pm every weekday evening (Mon- Fri).
  5. Users should note that any payments in process after the 10pm deadline need to be completed by 10.05pm.
|Back to top

What if I have been refused a licence or do not agree with the licence conditions imposed?

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates Courts who may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions as it thinks proper.

|Back to top

What happens if you fail to comply?

If you do not have a licence or do not comply with any of the conditions, you may be prosecuted, fined up to £5000 and/or imprisoned for up to 3 months, or both.

|Back to top

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about the welfare of the animals, nuisance caused by the operation of the boarding establishment etc. or are one licence holder wishing to complain about another use the contact details below.

|Back to top


The Licensing Team
Level 6 Alexandra House
10 Station Road
Wood Green
N22 7TR

Tel 020 8489 8232
Fax 020 8489 5528
Email licensing@haringey.gov.uk

The following links are not part of the Haringey Council website. Please read our legal disclaimer before using these links