Registering for social housing
Haringey's Housing Register
- Am I eligible to join the Housing Register?
- Apply to join the Housing Register
- Change of circumstances
- Medical assessment
- Do I have to renew my application?
To apply for social housing in Haringey (that is, council and housing association homes) you will need to apply to join the Housing Register. All social housing is allocated in accordance with the Housing Allocations policy which is based on three Housing Needs Bands: A, B and C, with A and B being the highest priority.
Applications must be made using the online form (see the Housing Register application page).
Due to the very high demand for social rented housing in Haringey, only the highest priority applicants will be successful. Therefore, we strongly urge applicants to visit our Housing Options page or call 020 8489 1000 for further advice.
To join the Housing Register in Haringey you must both be eligible for housing and qualify for inclusion in the Register.
To be eligible, you must:
- be 16 years of age or over
- not be ineligible for housing by reason of your immigration status
In order to qualify for inclusion in the Register, you must satisfy the following:
- not have been found guilty of unacceptable behaviour
- have continuously lived in the Borough for 3 years at the time of applying
- meet the criteria to be placed in one of the Housing Needs Bands A-C
- not residing in temporary accommodation provided by another local authority at the time of applying
- not be a home-owner
- if residing in tied accommodation and you are less than 6 months away from your retirement or you have received a legal notice asking you to leave your home
All other persons included on a housing application must be a member of the applicant’s family.
All Housing Register applications are subject to a standard verification framework which includes home visits and the checking of identification and other relevant documents. People who are statutorily homeless and accepted for rehousing are automatically entered onto the Housing Register. Applicants with no fixed abode can apply on the register with a 'care of' address.
All eligible applicants are placed in the Housing Needs Band appropriate to their needs in accordance with Haringey's Housing Allocations Policy 2015 (PDF, 552KB).
You have the right to request a review (see housing reviews) of any decision made by the council concerning your application.
- If you meet these criteria, then visit the Housing Register application page.
If you are already on the Housing Register and your circumstances change, please notify us if this is relevant to your housing need.
- Fill in the Housing Register - Change of Circumstances (PDF, 92KB) and return it to us by post or in person at one of our Customer Service Centres.
If you are on the Housing Register and have a medical condition that you think is made worse by your current housing, you can discuss this with a member of the Housing Assessment Team. You will be advised whether the condition is likely to attract medical priority and if so, will be informed of the next steps you need to take.
- Please call 020 8489 1000 for further advice
All applicants on the Housing Register will be required to confirm their details at least once a year including whether they wish to remain on the Register. We will contact applicants to tell them how to do this.
- If you have received your renewal letter visit our Housing Application Renewal page.
Page Last Updated:
Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.