Rubbish collections are provided for all households at least once a fortnight. These services are operated in partnership with the council's contractor Veolia.
- Wheelie bin collections
- Collection day
- How to order a new or replacement bin
- Missed collections
- How to use your bin
- Managing your waste
- Shared bins for blocks of flats and estates
- More information
Larger or bulky items cannot be collected through these services. Residents can book a bulky waste collection (some reusable and recyclable items will be collected for free), or take items to the Reuse and Recycling Centres in Hornsey and Tottenham.
Most properties with a front garden are provided with a wheelie bin for rubbish.
However, there are some locations where bins cannot be provided, and residents will therefore receive a sack collection. Residents living in blocks of flats or some gated developments will have shared bins.
To find out which day your bin will be collected, please use the Veolia Haringey search form (external link).
Alternatively you can contact:
Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:
Tel: 020 8885 7700
Collections start early in the morning, so we recommend that you put your bin out the night before your scheduled collection day.
Please note waste collections are not affected by bank holidays - your waste will be collected at the usual collection times. The exception is the Christmas and New Year period.
To order a new or replacement rubbish bin, please contact:
Veolia Haringey Contact Centre
A member of staff will visit your property within 10 working days to assess its suitability for a new bin.
The evening before collection day, please:
- Put your wheelie bin as close to the edge of your property as possible (next to the front gate, if you have one).
- Make sure the wheels of the bin are facing outwards.
- The bin should not be obstructed by parked cars or bikes, pot plants or other garden features.
Once it has been emptied your bin will be returned to the collection point. Please do not leave your bin on the pavement.
It is important that you manage your rubbish, to ensure that it all fits into your bin and minimises damage to the environment. All residents can recycle a wide range of materials, and there are special services on offer for disposing of bulky or hazardous waste items:
- Make sure you recycle your paper, card, drink cartons, plastics, glass, tins, cans, food waste and garden waste - see the recycling pages for more information.
- Large items should not be put into your wheelie bin - see the bulky items collection page for information on other collection options.
- Soil, sand, rubble and other heavy DIY or garden waste should not be put into your bin, as they will overload it and cause it to get damaged when it is being emptied.
- Hazardous materials should never be put into your wheelie bin - see the hazardous waste page for information on how to dispose of paint, chemicals, asbestos and other materials.
If you are unsure of how to dispose of an item, please visit What can I recycle?.
Residents living in blocks of flats or some gated developments are likely to be provided with large shared bins for their rubbish. These will be located in a bin storage area, in the car park, outside the block entrance or accessed through special rubbish chutes. These bins will be emptied by the council's contractor Veolia at least once per week.
The site managers for each block or development have responsibility for keeping these areas clean, and if necessary moving the bins out on collection day. If you have any queries relating to these issues, please speak to your site manager, estate officer or managing agent.
Some blocks and estates may also have a dedicated area for bulky items of waste. Please ask your local estate staff for details.
If you have any questions on rubbish, recycling and street cleansing please contact the Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:
Tel: 020 8885 7700
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.