Enforcement Response Service
Noise is part of living in a busy city, but excessive noise can really affect people’s quality of life.
If you are being disturbed by noise happening now call 020 8489 1335 during office hours or 020 8489 0000 evenings and weekends.
- If you would like help and advice about noise or you want to report a noise that is not happening now please report a noise problem online.
Haringey's Enforcement Response Team deals with different types of complaints including:
- Music and TV
- Noise from pubs, bars or clubs
- Building work and DIY
- Light Pollution
When you call us we undertake to:
- Contact you within 30 minutes, by telephoning you in order to arrange to investigate your noise complaint, and visiting you within 1 hour where the noise is continuing. These response times may vary in peak periods such as summer and weekends, but we currently achieve a visit, where it is necessary, within 60 minutes 70% of the time.
- Continually monitor and review our performance, and continually work to improve our performance. This website will report on this performance.
About the Service
We operate a year round reactive service.
We handle up to 10,000 calls a year and aim to respond to each complaint within 30 minutes. Currently, over 90% of calls are handled in that period.
The team specialise in investigating complaints about:
- noisy neighbours (including loud music and parties)
- building sites, roadworks and DIY works
- prolonged ringing of intruders, fire and car alarms
- night clubs and licensed premises
- barking dogs and other noisy animals
Once we receive a complaint, we will contact the caller for further details, which may include:
- type of complaint
- where it is
- how long/often it has been occurring
If the problem is ongoing, we will arrange to visit.
If a statutory nuisance is witnessed an abatement notice may be served. If the person responsible does not ensure that the nuisance is stopped within the time stated in the notice,we will consider Enforcement action including prosecution. A Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 (£400 for Commercial Premises) may also be considered. This could lead to a fine of up to £5,000 for residential premises and up to £20,000 for commercial premises.
Proactive noise work
- Haringey’s Enforcement Response Team works closely with entertainment venues in order to assess their impact. We advise them on how much to reduce noise levels by, and use our visits to gain evidence for use by Licensing, Planning and other departments. Noise surveys are undertaken for cases which centre around planning refusals or licence applications and variations.
- The Enforcement Response Service
Level 1 North
River Park House
225 High Road
- Tel: 020 8489 1335
- Email: email@example.com
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.