Search form

You are here

Parking Tickets

Penalty Charge Notices

Parking tickets issued by the council are called 'Penalty Charge Notices' (PCNs). They are issued when drivers break parking rules or if drivers enter a bus lane during times of the day when restrictions are in operation.

Parking tickets are also issued when a moving traffic rule has been broken.

The council processes PCNs according to the legal requirements and the London Councils Code of Practice. It specifies the steps we must follow to collect payment of a parking ticket. It also details the steps drivers must follow to make a formal appeal against a PCN.

Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) Prevented from affixing PCN onto vehicle

We will in certain situations send Penalty Charge Notices by post for parking contraventions where the Civil Enforcement Officer at the time could not affix the notice to the windscreen of the vehicle.

Reasons for not being able to affix the notice include:

  • the vehicle being driven away
  • the CEO was either verbally or physically prevented from doing so

Transferring Vehicle Ownership

If you sell or transfer your vehicle you must tell DVLA straight away using the V5C registration certificate. You will also need to notify us of any changes if you have a parking permit (see change of vehicle section).

Please note you and the buyer must follow the procedures correctly or you could still be liable for the vehicle.

Telling the DVLA if you have your V5C registration certificate

If you have a registration certificate:

  1. Complete section 6 on the V5C.
  2. Sign section 8 on the V5C.
  3. Get the buyer to also sign section 8 on the V5C.
  4. Give the buyer the completed V5C/2 section.
  5. Send the V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Registered keepers selling a vehicle should ensure they take as much information as possible from the buyer and that the information is correct in all respects. Under no circumstances should they allow the person buying the vehicle to take away and complete the V5C document themselves.

Once DVLA have updated their records you’ll get a letter within 4 weeks confirming that you’re not liable for the vehicle any more. However, where we have issued penalty notices and the DVLA do not then provide the new registered keeper details, Traffic Management may contact you to obtain the necessary information to transfer the liability for any Penalty Notices to the new keeper.

|Back to top

Changes in Parking Enforcement

The legislation that covers how parking is enforced changed on 31 March 2008. Regulations made under the Road Traffic Act 1991 were replaced by the Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA).

The aim of the Guidance is to steer local governments into providing an open and fair parking enforcement policy whilst adopting clear and prescribed guidelines for dealing with parking contraventions.

What has changed?

  • Parking attendants are now referred to as Civil Enforcement Officers
  • Local Authorities are now required to publish their policies online.
  • The wording on the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) changed to reflect the TMA
  • There has been an increase in the time allowed to pay a static CCTV Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) at the reduced rate from 14 to 21 days.
  • To reduce abuse of the Blue Badge scheme, powers have been introduced for civil enforcement officers to inspect the validity of Blue Badges. A number of successful operations have already been jointly undertaken with the Metropolitan Police.
  • Local authorities are expected to provide more detailed information on how to appeal or challenge a PCN.

Further information can be found on the Department for Transport website - please see the external links section below.

Contact us

Tel 020 8489 1000

|Back to top

Page Last Updated:

26 May 2015

How can we improve this page?

Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.

Tell us what you think of this page - please remember to leave your contact details if you would like a response:

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.