Bank holiday closures: Customer Service Centres and libraries in Haringey will be closed on Monday 28 May.
Electronic Collection of Data
Direction of Chief Executive regarding Housing Benefit Claims and Council Tax Reduction Applications
Direction of Chief Executive of the London Borough of Haringey, under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Electronic Communications) Order 2006 and Part 4, Paragraph 11 of Schedule 7 to the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) (England) Regulations 2012.
This page sets out the council’s legal obligation to publicly state our policy regarding electronic collection of data relating to Housing Benefit claims and Council Tax Reduction applications.
The London Borough of Haringey (the Authority) in accordance with:
For Housing Benefit:
- Paragraph 2 of Schedule 11 to the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006
- Paragraph 2 of Schedule 10 to the Housing Benefit (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) Regulations 2006
For Council Tax Reduction:
- Schedule 1 Part 4 of the Haringey Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2014
Hereby makes the following directions:
1. Providing the method approved by the Authority is used, electronic communication may be used in the following circumstances:
- Making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or an application for a Council Tax Reduction
- Amending a claim for Housing Benefit and/or an application for a Council Tax Reduction
- Notifying a change in circumstances for a Housing Benefit claim and/or a Council Tax Reduction application
2. The methods approved by the Authority for using electronic communication are as follows:
- The claim/application form used must be that which is on the Authority’s website
- The form must be completed in accordance with the instructions set out on the website
- Any notification of a change in circumstances must be notified by completing the relevant form on the Authority’s website
- Any person sending an electronic communication to the Authority must clearly state their name, full postal address and claim reference number where appropriate. Any communication where the Authority is unable to authenticate the identity of the sender shall be deemed invalidly made
3. The Authority may accept digital photographic and scanned images of notices, forms, evidence, and information provided by a person where it has been verified by an officer of the Authority or its agent. Where it has not been verified the Authority may request to see the original where its authenticity cannot be corroborated by other means.
4. The person must keep a copy of any electronic communication, reference number generated, claim/application, certificate, notice, information, or evidence so that it can be produced where the Authority so requires. Failure to produce on reasonable request the evidence requested may be deemed to show that an electronic communication was not successfully made to the Authority.
5. Electronic communications received after 5pm Monday to Thursday and after 4.30pm on Friday or on a Saturday or Sunday will be treated as though they are received on the following working day. Monday to Friday are deemed to be working days except where they are statutory holidays or the Authority has decided that the offices will be closed to the public for whatever reason.
6. The Authority's 'official computer system' for the purposes of recording information relating to electronic communications is provided by Northgate Information Solutions Ltd for Revenues and Benefits. Civica (Comino) is the Authority’s integrated document information and workflow system and is also regarded as an 'official computer system' for the purposes of recording information relating to electronic communications.
7. The Authority may require further information or original supporting evidence before the claim for Housing Benefit and/or application for a Council Tax Reduction can be assessed/revised. The Authority may verify claims/applications, certificates, notices, information or evidence by using third party systems and sources of information as well as by direct contact with a person using electronic communications or by some other means.
8. Any claim/application, amendment or notification received that:
a. Does not conform to any of the relevant standards will be invalid
b. Does conform to the above standard but is not accepted by the Authority's official computer system, is not regarded as having been delivered.
9. This direction may be withdrawn or amended at any time by the issue of a further direction.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.