Disabled Band Reduction
A disabled band reduction may apply if a property is
- the main residence of a disabled person, and
- the property has either;
- a room, other than a bathroom, toilet or kitchen, which is predominantly used by and required to meet the needs of the disabled person, or
- an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet the needs of the disabled person, or
- enough floor space for the use of a wheelchair required to meet the needs of the disabled person.
The disabled person does not have to be liable to pay Council Tax and may be of any age.
For the purposes of this reduction, a disabled person means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled caused by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise.
If you are eligible, a reduction will be applied to your account to reduce the amount you must pay to that of a band lower than your property. For example, if your property is in band D you will be charged the band C rate. If your property is in band A you will still receive a reduction equivalent to that for bands B, C and D.
Please note the following adaptions or uses alone do not qualify for a disabled band reduction:
- Stannah stair lifts
- Additional rails inside or outside the property
- Using a zimmer frame indoors
- Possession of a disabled parking permit
To apply, please complete the online Disabled Person's Discount form:
Or download and complete the Disabled Band Reduction application form (PDF, 32KB)
Please note that an enquiry officer may be required to visit your property to assess your eligibility before any reduction is awarded.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.