Help with Council Tax
- I am new to the borough and want to register for Council Tax on My Account
- How do I view my Council Tax Account?
- I have received a message: “Your account cannot be found”
- The name on my bill is wrong
- I can’t find my Council Tax account reference or online reference number
- My address does not appear on the list
- Our Council Tax account is in more than one name. Can I register for a My Account?
- How can I see the information that I have submitted to you?
- I am having problems paying
- You will need to create a My Account and click on the Council Tax icon
- Use the ‘I am moving into the borough’ form
In order to complete the form, you will need:
- the address of the property you are moving into
- if you rent the property, the date your tenancy started
- if you rent the property, the name of your Landlord
- the date you actually moved into the property
- whether the property was left furnished or unfurnished to you
- the name of anyone moving in with you who is over 18
Once completed you will be able to see your Council Tax reference number online after successfully registering for Council Tax - you can then choose to set up a direct debit to pay your bill.
However, in some circumstances we may have to check and complete the change – we will update your account and send out a new bill or contact you if we need further information within 10 working days.
You will need your Council Tax account reference number as shown on your bill to view your account details. Just click ‘Register to view and manage your Council Tax account’ and complete the required information.
Please note you will be asked to answer two security questions about your account before you can view your details. You must provide the answer to two of the following questions:
- The online key reference (shown on the front of your bill)
- The postcode of the address the bill relates to
- The last three digits of the telephone number we hold for you
- The last three digits of your bank account if you already pay us by direct debit
Check that you have input your account number and surname/company name as shown on your bill. If you have entered your name and account number as it appears on your bill, contact us at CAR.RegistrationQueries@haringey.gov.uk
If we have spelt your name incorrectly on our records please enter it as shown on your bill and you will be able to correct it later.
- Your Council Tax account reference number is shown on your Council Tax bill or any other correspondence that you have received from us about your Council Tax. The number is 7 or 11 digits long.
- Your online reference number is shown on the front of your latest Council Tax bill or recovery notice and will be located under your Council Tax account reference number. The number is 10 digits long. Please note that this number changes each time a new notice is sent so it must be from your most recent bill or recovery notice.
- Your postcode may be incorrect on our Council tax records – if you cannot find a property using the postcode, try “I do not know the postcode”
- Enter your door number and postcode before searching for your address. Do not enter a flat number, for example, if you live at 87A Station Road or Flat 2, 87 Station Road, simply enter 87
- If the property is newly built, contact us as your address may not be listed to register your Council Tax account. Once you receive your bill you will be able to register to view and manage your Council Tax account online
- If you are still experiencing problems please complete our report a missing or incorrect address form.
Please note, this form can only be used to report missing addresses within the London Borough of Haringey.
Yes. Each person named on the bill can register separately. On the Council Tax registration screen, just enter your own name exactly as it appears on the Council Tax bill.
We recommend that you save a copy of your submission – a PDF of the information provided can be saved if you click the link to view, print or save when the transaction is completed.
When you complete an online form a confirmation email is sent to you from haringeynoreply. If you have not received one please check your junk email folder.
When making an online payment you will be asked for an additional security password by a system known as 3D secure. This is to protect against fraudulent card payments.
Please refer to our Help with Online Payments page where you can find more information about known issues that have been brought to our attention, which may help to resolve or clarify the issues you are having. If you are still experiencing problems please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including any error messages, and we will investigate.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required