Changing the text size in your browser
Most popular web browsers feature a tool on the menu bar which lets you change the size of text on the webpages you are visiting. With this tool you can resize text on screen to a level you feel comfortable with. Where to find this tool differs slightly between browsers. Please follow the guides below for your browser.
Please note that text size cannot be changed on some websites.
Instructions for different browsers
- Click the Chrome menu (3 horizontal lines) on the browser toolbar
- Select Settings
- Click Show advanced settings
- In the Web Content section, use the Font size drop-down menu to make adjustments.
- From the Safari menu, select Preferences.
- Click Appearance.
- To change the standard font or fixed-width font used in pages, click the appropriate Select button.
- Change the font size using the slider bar.
- From the Firefox Menu Bar select View>Text Size>Increase.
- This will cause the text to display on the web page one size larger. However this is a temporary change.
To make a permanent font size change:
- From the Firefox Menu Bar, select Tools>Options.
- Click on General.
- Click on Fonts and Colours.
- Set the font sizes. Minimum font size can also be set.
- From the Menu Bar, select View.
- Scroll to Text Size and choose your preference.
- Opera users should check out the instructions in the Windows, Mac or Linux sections of the BBC's My Web My Way website (see external links section below).
The Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) website (see external links section below) includes more detailed advice, including screenshots, of how to change font size, as well as layout and style of pages.
My Web My Way is the BBC's comprehensive guide to making the web easier to use. The website explains the many ways you can change your browser, computer, keyboard and mouse settings to make the web more accessible for you. The links below offer comprehensive advice to Windows, Mac and Linux users on how to:
- change font sizes (including keyboard shortcuts)
- modify the colours on the screen
- make your keyboard and mouse easier to use
- magnify the screen
- fill in forms
- listen to websites
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.