Search form

You are here

Hornsey Town Hall is now licensed for marriages and civil partnerships. This allows couples to get married in the centre of Crouch End with its many restaurants and bars. See our approved premises page for more marriage venues in Haringey.

Marriages and Civil Partnerships

Arranging a wedding or civil partnership requires time and preparation.

Outlined below are the three key steps in arranging a wedding or civil partnership:

  1. Choosing your venue
  2. Giving Notice of Marriage / Civil Partnership
  3. Personalising your ceremony

Choosing your venue

A wide range of venues are available including hotels and banqueting suites in addition to traditional venues like Register Offices and Churches.

Once you have decided which venue you would like to marry in make a provisional booking with the venue. The venue can be located anywhere in the world. Book your venue in plenty of time to avoid disappointment.

In Haringey we have a choice of venues including our own Civic Suite:

Back to top

Giving Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership

Notice must be given in order to get married.

  • To book a Notice of Marriage appointment please book online, or call 020 8489 2605. Payment starting at £35 per person will be taken at time of booking. This fee is non refundable unless appointments are cancelled or changed at least two clear working days ahead. Additional fees for people subject to immigration, Saturdays (if booked online or not collected at time of booking), late or early appointments will be collected locally

Book an appointment

Please note: if your preferred date is not available, the booking system will offer the next available date. Saturday Notices are available for some but not all Saturdays.

Unless one or both parties are subject to immigration control, Notice must be given to the district where you both live. To give Notice you must establish residency. Residency is established after you have lived at an address for seven clear days. If coming from abroad the date a person arrives in the UK and the date Notice is given is not taken into account. For example if you arrive on the 1st of the month the earliest Notice can be given would be the 9th of the month.

When giving Notice both parties must present evidence of their name, age and nationalities. This is normally done by presenting a passport. Some ID cards can also be accepted.

Proof of address is needed and evidence the parties are free to marry, such as divorce documents if applicable. Please note that most overseas divorces require clearance from the General Register Office. We will submit your documents to them on your behalf. This process normally takes at least three weeks and clearance is not always granted.

Evidence of immigration status is not required but if one or both parties are subject to immigration control you are advised to seek advice from the Home Office to ensure you comply with the immigration law side of getting married.

Once Notice has been given, the Notice goes on public display for a period of at least 28 clear days and possibly 70 clear days. Please see the Notice of Marriage and Civil Partnership page for more information.

Forming a Civil Partnership

We offer a number of ways to form a Civil Partnership. Ceremonies can take place in our Civic Suite, at one of our approved venues or in our Register Office. At the Civic Suite and at approved venues you have the option to personalise your ceremony. If you would like to keep things simple and keep costs down you can simply sign a Civil Partnership Schedule in front of your two witnesses in the Register Office. Signings take place each Tuesday when we have additional signing appointments available at £50 per couple. For signings only please give Notice of Civil Partnership for the Register Office and not the Civic Suite.

Back to top

Personalising your ceremony

Our Weddings and Civil Partnerships Team are here to help ensure that your special day is a memorable occasion. We offer a friendly and unhurried service tailored to you; from the simple to the extravagant we are here to cater to your requirements. A choice of ceremony scripts are available including the option for you to create your own wedding or civil partnership script for a small additional charge.

Please also look at the personalising your ceremony page to see a choice of ceremony scripts and ideas to personalise your ceremony.

Our Venues

We offer a number of venues to meet all tastes and budgets. Our range of approved premises includes Alexandra Palace, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and Bruce Castle Museum.

Visit our approved premises page for more information.

Back to top

The Civic Suite

Our own Civic Suite offers two rooms in which your ceremony can take place. These are the Ceremony Room and the spacious Council Chamber.

Back to top

The Civic Suite Ceremony Room

The Ceremony Room

The Ceremony Room with its wood panelling, floral arrangements and marble columns has large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Commonwealth Garden.

The room has seating for up to 50 guests with standing room for many more. This makes it one of the larger ceremony rooms in the area. This room is entirely on the ground floor.

Back to top

The Council Chamber

The Council Chamber

The Council Chamber is our largest room with seating for 180 guests including a 100 seat upper gallery area (gallery not suitable for young children). There is also standing room on the lower level.

This is the perfect venue for larger celebrations. The Council Chamber with its wood panelling has modern comfortable free form seating in the main chamber making it the adaptable venue for your special occasion.

This room also benefits from having a white screen and projector that can be used for displaying photographs / PowerPoint presentations for a couples special day. This room is primarily on the first floor with access to the Gallery on the second floor. A lift and spiral staircase provide access to the first floor.

Back to top

Commonwealth Garden

The Commonwealth Garden / Photographs

The Commonwealth Garden is home to a number of trees from around the world.

This along with flowering shrubs makes it the perfect location for wedding and civil partnership photographs. A number of garden benches offer seating for guests.

The gardens opposite the Civic Centre offer further opportunities for photographs.

Back to top

Parking and Public Transport

Parking is available on a first come first served basis at the front of the Civic Centre. Please use post code N22 9SB if driving to us. Free parking in our large car park at the back of the Civic Centre is available at weekends. Pay and display bays are located nearby.

We are located only five minutes from Wood Green Underground Station on the Piccadilly Line and close to Alexandra Palace Overground Station. Being based in Wood Green we benefit from excellent connections by bus to all parts of North London and beyond.

Back to top

Payments and fees

Details of fees for all of our weddings and services can be found on the Register Office Fees Page.

All ceremonies must be paid in full at least 3 months before the ceremony date. Fees are subject to change until paid in full.
We reserve the right to cancel ceremonies not paid in full by the due date.

Back to top

Further information

If after reading these pages you require further advice or assistance please get in contact:

Tel 020 8489 2605 or

We will be happy to assist you with organising your special day.

Page Last Updated:

2 September 2015

How can we improve this page?

Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.

Tell us what you think of this page - please remember to leave your contact details if you would like a response:

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.