A personal licence allows an individual to supply - or to authorise the supply - of alcohol. The personal licence is separate from a premises licence, which authorises the premises to be used for the supply of alcohol. Personal licences are not required for other licensable activities, or for the supply of alcohol under a club premises certificate or temporary event notice. The designated premises supervisor of premises selling alcohol is required to hold a personal licence.
Key points regarding personal licences
- The personal licence holder will be authorised to sell alcohol at any premises in England and Wales that has a valid premises licence
- The personal licence holder may only sell alcohol at licensed premises, not at any other place
- Since 6 April 2015 personal licences have not had an expiry date. Where licences show an expiry date after 6 April 2015 this date is no longer valid. Replacement licences without an expiry date will not be issued unless an application is made and the £10.50 fee paid.
- A personal licence holder must have passed one of the following accredited courses:
- BIIAB Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
- GOAL Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
- GQAL Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
Find out more about the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders from the external links section below.
How to apply
Please download and complete the application form - available from the licensing application forms page
Changing your details
If you are a Personal Licence holder and wish to advise the Licensing Authority of any of the following:
- A change of address (you must contact the council that issued the licence)
- Change of name (due to marriage or Deed poll)
- A new conviction (Foreign or Domestic)
Please contact the Licensing team via the contact details below.
All supporting information can be found on the Guidance and Annexes page:
- Personal Licence Guidance Notes
- Fees Guidance Notes
The Licensing Team
Level 6 Alexandra House
10 Station Road
Tel 020 8489 1335
Page Last Updated:
Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.