Search form

You are here


Current Licensing Applications

Please read the guidance notes for making representations before viewing the list of Current Licensing Applications, in the Licensing Applications Under Consultation page.

If you are thinking about raising a petition supporting or objecting to a Licensing matter, (eg for a premises licence or club premises certificate), the criteria for submitting representations (including petitions) is contained in the Licensing Act 2003. When relevant representations are received for an application, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing by the Regulatory Licensing Sub Committee to decide the matter. If you have any queries regarding this process, please contact the Licensing Team. Further information is also available in the Licensing Representations page and you should particularly note the current definition of 'Interested Party' because representations cannot be accepted by persons who do not fall within this category.

Back to top

Home Office Alcohol Strategy Unit Consultation

The Alcohol Strategy Unit of the Home Office recently consulted on proposals to streamline the licensing process.

In an effort to reduce red tape and relieve the burden on businesses, the Home Office are wishing to withdraw the requirement for applicants to advertise their application in the local newspaper. This survey is asking those residents who had made representations, how they in fact came to know about applications in their area. Residents may find this of interest in general.

The Licensing Team will be sending out the survey to everyone that makes representation. In the survey the Home office are asking those willing to participate to indicate how they found out about the applications. The survey closes on Friday 24 May 2013. Responses should be sent directly to the postal or email address stated on the survey form.

Back to top

Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act 2003 brought in significant changes to the way licensed premises were regulated. The six existing licensing regimes covering liquor, public entertainment, theatres, cinemas, late night refreshment premises and night cafes were all brought together under a single integrated system.

The Act requires each local authority to develop and publish a Statement of Licensing Policy (available in the attached files section below) in line with guidance published by the Government. It takes into account examples of best practice used elsewhere in dealing with the regulation of licensed activities. The policy must promote the four licensing objectives set out by the Act. These are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • Public safety at licensed premises
  • The protection of children from harm

Back to top

The key measures of Act include

  • Haringey Council now has the role of being the Licensing Authority for the area.
  • Flexible opening hours for premises, designed to reduce public disorder associated with fixed closing times, allowing the potential for 24 hour opening, 7 days a week. This is subject to the consideration of the impact on local residents and businesses - licensing representations.
  • Both applicants for licences and objectors will have the right to appeal to the Magistrates’ court if their representations have not been taken properly into account.
  • The police have enhanced powers to close licensed premises for up to 24 hours where disorder is occurring.

Back to top

Types of licensable activities

The Licensing Act 2003 states that a licence is required where any of the following licensable activities are taking place:

  • The sale of or supply of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs and their guests
  • The provision of regulated entertainment (eg performance of a play, an exhibition of a film, sporting event)
  • The supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am, for consumption on or off the premises (this will include mobile food vans).

The Licensing Act 2003 has four new types of licence, which are as follows:

Completed forms should be returned to the relevant authorities as shown in Licensing Contacts.

Back to top

Mandatory Licensing Conditions

The following two mandatory conditions came into effect in 2010 and apply to all applications:

  • An age verification policy must be in place to prevent underage sales; and
  • Customers must have the opportunity to choose small measures of beers, ciders, spirits and wine

The document available in the attached files section gives guidance to help licences through this process

Back to top

Ward Councillors as Interested Parties

From 29 January 2010 the law has changed, giving ward councillors enhanced roles, and any member will be able to both make representations and potentially call for reviews of licences. There are some requirements, the most important being evidence to support your case.

In summary, this is a significant change from the previous situation, where individual Members could only make such representations if they lived in or had a business in the vicinity of the premises, or had been specifically asked to represent a constituent at a hearing.

However, the statutory constraints on the reasons for representations or reviews still apply – they may only be made on the grounds of one or more of the licensing objectives, which are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • public safety
  • the protection of children from harm

Representations or applications for review on other grounds cannot be considered. For instance, public health is not a statutory objective and cannot be considered.

Given the quasi-judicial nature of the proceedings, all representations or reviews:

  • must be in writing, showing the name and address of the writer (the representation/review application must be published as part of the process) – there is a prescribed form for reviews on the Licensing webpage.
  • must clearly set out the likely effects the grant of the licence would have on the promotion of at least one of the licensing objectives.
  • must present evidence in support of the representation or review.
  • must clearly relate to the premises for which application is being made.

For example, representations on the basis of general noise and disturbance, without evidence of a causal link to specific premises, will carry little or no weight with the Sub-Committee.

There are particular rules in respect of petitions which are unlikely to carry as much weight with the Sub-Committee as letters from individuals. Individually produced representations will inevitably carry more weight than "form" letters where an individual's details have been added.

The Act also requires the Licensing Authority to disregard representations that are considered to be frivolous or vexatious.

Back to top

EU Services Online Application

Haringey Council is compliant with the European Service Directive.

EU Partnership logoThe Directive opens up the European internal market to cross-border trade in services by making it easier for service providers to set up business or offer their services in other EU countries. The Directive imposes a number of requirements on Local Authorities.
These are:

  • The screening and possible adjustment of the existing legislation and the authorisation schemes in them that are related to the relevant service
  • The electronic completion of procedures
  • Administrative cooperation
  • Regulation in connection with the rights of recipients of services

You can access information relating to the Council's licensing regimes and procedures electronically. It is possible to apply for various licences electronically (including the submission of additional documents and the payment of fees online) via the links on the website.

Not all licensing regimes or application types are under the scope of the EU Service Directive. A list of the licences that are available can be found in the A-Z of licences page.

For further information on the EU Service Directive please visit the BIS website in the external links section below.

Back to top

Licences dealt with by external agencies

The Commission for Social Care Inspection deals with licensing of Nursing Agencies.

The Public Carriage Office deals with licences for:

  • Taxis: Hackney carriage vehicles and drivers
  • Private hire vehicles, drivers and operators.

To find out more about these external agencies, follow the links in the external links section at the bottom of this page.

Licensing complaints

If you wish to make a complaint about any Licensing matters, please use our Licensing Complaints eform to log your complaint. Please provide us with as much information as you can with your contact details in order for us to deal with your request quickly.

Alcohol Health Risk

It is important that the message of possible risk to health through the consumption of alcohol is highlighted and understood. For adults, we need to be aware of the amount of alcohol that is consumed. The link below in the external links section takes you to the NHS help page and allows you to do a quick test on your alcohol intake.

Back to top

Contact us

Licensing Team
Level 6 Alexandra House
10 Station Road
Wood Green
N22 7TR

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4pm.

Tel 020 8489 1335

Back to top

Page Last Updated:

4 March 2015

Your feedback

Please let us know if this page was useful to you by answering the question below or by leaving a comment (or you can do both).